Frequently Asked Questions

I started this page with the goal of compiling many of the most frequent questions I receive about the lab and answering them to benefit those seeking additional information. I will continue to add content as I encounter new questions. If you cannot find the answer to your question here, please feel free to contact me.

What kind of research do you do at the Anger and Traffic Psychology Lab?

The most current information about projects in progress and those in the development stage can be found on our Home page. You can also visit the About Our Research page to learn more about the primary areas we are investigating.

Who works in the lab?

Lab members include master's and doctoral students admitted to the Counseling Psychology Program at the University of Southern Mississippi and undergraduate students enrolled at the University of Southern Mississippi who are interested in gaining research experience. For more information on applying, see the prospective students page.

Are you admitting doctoral students to work with you this year?

Yes, I typically aim to admit one doctoral student per year. Information on doctoral admissions can be found on the Counseling Psychology program's website.

What do you look for in deciding whether to interview a doctoral applicant?

Although program faculty make admissions decisions by committee, individual faculty members typically determine who they invite to campus for interviews. In evaluating application materials, I start with applicants' potential for success in the academic aspects of doctoral training. GRE scores, GPA, work experience, the quality of the personal statement, and letters of recommendation are among the factors that help me make this decision. Next, I look closely at fit. In our program, doctoral students are admitted to work in the lab of a major professor. This means that each of us looks for students with research interests similar to ours. Current students in my lab are involved in a variety of different projects; however, most of our work is connected to anger, aggression, and/or various aspects of traffic psychology. Thus, I am primarily interested in doctoral applicants with interests in these areas.

Can master's students join the lab?

Yes, students in the Counseling Psychology Master's Program are often valuable members of the lab. Depending on their interests and the availability of positions, we are happy to consider applications from master's students. Interested master's students can find an application here.

Can undergraduate students join the lab?

Depending on the nature of current and planned research projects, I am happy to accept motivated undergraduate students enrolled at the University of Southern Mississippi into the lab. Of course, I also want to make sure that there will be enough for them to do to obtain worthwhile research experience. Priority is given to psychology majors with GPAs of 3.0 or higher who are seeking research experience to strengthen applications for graduate school. Interested students may complete an application.

Is it necessary to have previous research experience in psychology?

No. While successful doctoral applicants have usually had some previous research experience, there is great variability in the extent of their experience. Many master's students and most undergraduate assistants have not had prior research experience before joining the lab.

Where can I find more information about the graduate programs?

You can find information about the Counseling Psychology programs at the University of Southern Mississippi online at

What is traffic psychology?

At the broadest level, traffic psychology focuses on the relationship between a variety of psychological variables and aspects of driver behavior. My interests center on the role of personality and individual differences (e.g., driving anger, sensation seeking, impulsivity) in risky and/or aggressive driving.

I am primarily interested in working with children and adolescents. Should I apply?

Our research focuses on emerging adults, and most of our projects to date have utilized college student samples. While we have some projects in the planning phase that may include non-college adults, we are unlikely to conduct research with persons under the age of 18. If you are primarily interested in conducting research with children and adolescents during your graduate training, you will not find that opportunity here. We have had students who have expressed an interest in wanting to work with children and/or adolescents later in their careers, but they understand that their research focus here will be on adult populations. It is also worth noting that the Counseling Psychology program at the University of Southern Mississippi is rather adult-focused in terms of the clinical training students receive. For example, our in-house training clinic through which students begin their practicum training does not provide services to persons under the age of 16.

How do I apply for a post doc position?

The Anger and Traffic Psychology Lab does not offer post doc positions, and there are no plans to do so.

I am not enrolled at the University of Southern Mississippi. Can I work at the lab?

No, we are not able to accept individuals who are not currently enrolled at the University of Southern Mississippi.

Do you have paid positions available?

No, we do not offer paid positions or graduate assistantships to students outside the Counseling Psychology graduate programs.